1. The name of the Club is Chirpy’s Cricket Club, hereafter to be referred to as "the Club" and the Club shall be affiliated to the England and Wales Cricket Board through the Jersey Cricket Board. The Club colours shall be navy, sky blue and white. The Club is formed as a non-profit making organisation for the enjoyment, use and recreation by members and persons authorised by or on behalf of the members from time to time.
2. The objects of the Club are:-
to provide facilities for and the promotion and encouragement of participation in cricket and for such other activities as may be agreed by the Management Committee for the benefit of the local community;
to be organised on an amateur basis;
to do all such other acts and things as may be incidental or conducive to the above objects, including the organisation of social and sporting functions and activities.
3. The Club opposes all forms of discrimination in sport and is committed to ensure that membership of the Club is available on an equal basis to the community irrespective of age, race, gender, disability, ethnicity, nationality, religion or other beliefs, except as a necessary consequence of the requirements of cricket.
The Club will endeavour to ensure that opportunities to participate in cricket are provided for all groups at a level appropriate to their needs and aspirations. The Club assumes a duty of care to all its Members by adopting and implementing the ECB “Safe Hands – Cricket’s Policy for Safeguarding Children” and any future versions of the Policy (upon approval by the Management Committee), and by adopting and implementing the ECB Cricket Equality Policy and (upon approval of the Management Committee) any future versions of the Policy.
4. There shall be three classes of membership, namely Life Vice-Presidents, who shall be elected from time to time at the Annual General Meeting for services rendered to the Club and who shall not be liable to pay any subscription, Playing Members and Social Members. The Playing Members shall be divided into Full Members and Junior Members.
Additionally, any Juniors who are registered with the Clubs Academy will automatically receive Club membership, which will include their parent(s) or guardian(s) as Social Members. Full Members shall similarly be deemed to confer Social Member status on their spouse or partner.
5. Members’ subscriptions and Playing Members’ fees shall be fixed annually at the Annual General Meeting and shall be published on the Club’s website. The Club maintains an equitable subscription policy and will endeavour to ensure that subscriptions are kept at levels that will not pose a significant obstacle to potential or existing Members.
6. Annual Subscriptions shall be announced by 1 March and payable in full by 1st May in each year. Any Playing Member whose subscription has not been paid within 14 days following 1 May will be considered to have removed themselves from those available for selection, have rejected all privileges of membership and may ultimately be expelled from the Club by the Management Committee.
7. The Officers of the Club shall be the Director of Cricket, Life Vice-Presidents, Team Captains, Treasurer / Membership Secretary, Club Secretary / League Representative and Junior Development Officer.
8. The Management of the affairs of the Club shall be vested in a Management Committee consisting of the following:
Director of Cricket
Junior Development Officer
Treasurer / Membership Secretary
Club Secretary / League Representative
Club Welfare Officer
The Life Vice-Presidents are ex-officio members who attend Committee Meetings
9. Election to membership of the Club shall be at the discretion of the Management Committee. Although membership applications may be refused and/or memberships removed at the discretion of the Management Committee, such action would only be taken for good cause such as conduct or character likely to bring the Club or the game of cricket into disrepute.
10. The Management Committee shall have power to impose sanctions on, or to expel, any Member who offends against these Bye-Laws, or whose conduct shall, in the opinion of the Management Committee, render him or her unfit for membership. Before the imposition of any sanctions or expulsion, the Member concerned will receive from the Secretary in writing details of the complaint and will be requested to attend a Disciplinary Hearing conducted by the Management Committee within 21 days of the alleged offence or misdemeanour and called to take place at a time and location stipulated by the Management Committee on not less than 3 business days' notice, or if shorter, with the agreement of all parties. The Member concerned shall be entitled to be accompanied to the Disciplinary Hearing by a friend or other representative and to call witnesses. The outcome of the Disciplinary Hearing shall be put in writing to the Member concerned within 14 days following the Hearing and there shall be a right of appeal within a further 14 days of receipt of the decision. Any such appeal shall be made in writing and will be considered by an Appeals Sub-committee comprising three individuals, who may or may not be bona-fide members of the Club and appointed by the Management Committee but will not include any of the Executive Committee, within 21 days of the appeal. The appeals procedure will follow the procedure used for Disciplinary Hearings, and the decision of the Appeals Sub-committee will be final and binding on all parties. Furthermore, any complaints regarding the behaviour of Members, guests or volunteers should be lodged in writing with the Secretary and will be dealt with in similar fashion to the foregoing.
11. The Management Committee may from time to time constitute from among their members such sub-committees as they deem necessary or expedient from time to time, appoint other persons to such sub-committees as they see fit and delegate or refer to them such of the powers, including the power to elect or eject Members, and other duties as the Management Committee may determine.
12. Four members of the Management Committee shall form a quorum. Minutes shall be taken of all proceedings of the Management Committee.
13. An Annual General Meeting of Members shall be held every year for the purpose of receiving from the Management Committee a report, balance sheet and statement of accounts for the preceding year, the election of Officers and other members of the Management Committee and any other ordinary business. Only Life Vice-Presidents, Full Members, Officers, Management Committee Members and Full Time Students shall have voting powers at an Annual General Meeting or a Special General Meeting. All matters to be voted upon at an AGM shall (except where specified otherwise in these Bye-laws) be passed by a majority of votes of Members present and entitled to attend and voting at the meeting (a Resolution).
14. The Management Committee may at any time, for any special purpose, call a special general meeting, and they shall do so forthwith upon the requisition in writing of not less than twelve members stating the purpose for which the meeting is required.
15. Twelve members, to include at least four Officers of the Club, personally present at any general meeting shall form a quorum. Minutes shall be taken of all proceedings at general meetings.
16. Every Member shall be bound by these Bye-Laws and by joining the Club will be deemed to accept these Bye-Laws and rules as well as any Club Regulations and any Codes of Conduct that the Club has adopted. Every Member will have the opportunity of becoming a member of the Jersey Hockey Club and upon acceptance by that club shall be bound similarly by the rules of that club. A Code of Conduct for Members and guests will be displayed prominently to ensure that all guests and non-member volunteers are aware of the Code of Conduct and the requirement to abide by it. The Secretary will maintain a Register of Members. A Member who is not also a member of the Jersey Hockey Club shall have no right of access to that club's facilities without being signed in by a member of the Club.
17. The Club shall have the power, acting through the Management Committee, to raise or borrow money for the purposes of the Club and to make contributions to third parties by way of reimbursement of money raised or borrowed and financing costs incurred by such third parties where such money and financing costs have been raised, borrowed or incurred directly or indirectly for the benefit of the Club.
18. All profit and surplus income or gains will be reinvested in the Club and used to maintain or improve the Club’s facilities. No profits or surplus or assets will be distributed, in cash or in kind, to members or third parties (other than by way of donation to charities or to clubs that are registered as community amateur sports clubs).
The Club shall be dissolved on the passing of a Resolution to that effect at a General Meeting after due notice, by at least two-thirds of those present and voting. Such a meeting shall appoint a Committee to wind up the affairs of the Club.
On the dissolution of the Club, the net assets shall be applied for such of the following purposes as the members of the Club in a General Meeting shall approve:-
the purposes of the governing body of an eligible sport for the purposes of which the Club existed, for use in related community sport;
the purposes of a club that is registered as a community sports club;
the purposes of one or more Jersey-registered charities.
19. These Bye-laws may be added to, repealed, or amended, by Resolution at any annual or special general meeting.
The Management Committee shall determine any questions on the constructions of the Bye-laws or anything relative to the Club not provided for by the Bye-laws.